Thursday, January 6, 2011

Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Recipe


Living in Lancaster County is pretty interesting. There aren't too many places in our modern day where you share the roads with horse and buggies. Where you have to dodge road apples (horse poopie) walking into the grocery store. I love that there are quite a few family owned stores. I love that many of these small family owned stores offer wonderful prices. That they do not mark things up the way they could and most stores do. I like that one of my favorite variety stores prints a Bible scripture on the top of the receipt. I love that there are a large number of homeschoolers in this area. I love that most things are closed on Sunday. The landscape is beautiful. Best back roads ever! And the best part....it's a quilters paradise. So many quilt shops it's unbelievable! Yes, I feel blessed to live here. So I thought I'd share the recipe for this yummy treat with you. Many of you have had this before. It makes such a moist yummy bread.

The Starter:

2 cups warm water
2 cups flour
1 tsp. yeast



Put warm water in a glass or ceramic bowl or, my favorite, a large canning jar.(NO METAL)



Add the yeast and stir.



Add the flour and stir.


Leave uncovered or cover with a piece of cheese cloth. Do not seal. It can explode! Leave out on the counter. Do not refrigerate.


After a few hours in may look like this. That is good. Just leave it alone until the next day.
This is day 1.

On days 2 - 5 you stir your starter with a wooden or plastic spoon. NO METAL.

Day 6 stir and add 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar.

On days 7-9 Stir

On Day 10 feed your starter again with 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar, stir. Measure out 1 cup of starter into 4 containers. Gallon size Ziploc bags work great as you will be mushing your ingredients from here on. Keep one for yourself and pass 3 along to friends with a copy of the instructions and recipe below. You could also keep one, bake one and pass two along. If you don't pass it along the first day be sure to tell your friend what day it is on when you give it to them.

(you can print from here down for when you give it away!)


Amish Friendship Bread


*Do not use any metal bowls or spoons, Do not refrigerate, Let air out (burp) bag occasionally, It is normal for the bag to rise, bubble and ferment.*

Day 1 (the day you receive the bread) Do Nothing
Day 2 Mush bag
Day 3 Mush bag
Day 4 Mush bag
Day 5 Mush bag
Day 6 Add to the bag: 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk
Day 7 Mush bag
Day 8 Mush bag
Day 9 Mush bag
Day 10 Follow these instructions.
1. Pour your bag into a NON-METAL bowl.
2. Add 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups milk.
3. Measure out 4 - 1 cup servings into 4 gallon size Ziploc bags. Keep a starter for yourself and give 3 away along with a copy of the recipe and instructions.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
5. To the remaining batter in your bowl add:
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 large or 2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding
6. Grease 2 large loaf pans.
7. Pour mixture evenly into the loaf pans.
8. Bake 1 hour. Cool until bread loosens from pan.
9. Turn onto plate. Serve warm or cold.

Notes: We have used lemon pudding in place of the vanilla pudding and added poppy seeds. So good! You can omit the pudding all together and that turns out great too. You can use a bundt pan instead of loaf pans. Whatever ya like! If you keep a starter for yourself you will be baking every 10 days. You can put the starter in the fridge for later use, or if you are finished with the starter just bake it all up and freeze the bread. It freezes well. The flavor is better the longer you keep the starter.
Enjoy!

30 comments:

Leslie said...

i have always enjoyed friendship bread....i just have nobody to share it with where i live....and that probably would be a lot of bread for just me.

thanks for showing me...because i just might have to do it anyway.

Damaris said...

OMGSH!! Thank YOU SO MUCH!! When I was young I had this recipe and loved it. Through the years I lost it somewhere. I LOVE THIS RECIPE!! Can't wait to share it with my family!! Thank you again, XXOO, Damaris

Char said...

You're so lucky to live in Lancaster!
I'm glad I'm not that far away!

Thank you so much for the recipe. I've never made yeast bread before, but my sister does all the time. I think I'll try this recipe and pass it on to her.

Jacque. said...

I did this years ago...and it was great! Thanks for posting this.

Barb said...

I actually love the way the Amish live....

Thanks for the recipes...

Bethany said...

This is yummy. I love Lancaster county too- and love to get lost there.

Marie said...

My mom use to make amish friendship bread and I have been wanting to get one going again, thank you for including the recipe!!!

GranthamLynn said...

Oh I needed this a friend lost her started and didn't have the recipe.
Thanks for sharing this!

Kandice said...

I just found your blog because of the laundry detergent...which I plan on making...but i am so excited to to give this Amish Friendship bread recipe to my husband! He made this for two years, and then we took a two week trip to Germany and the bread mix did not survive us being gone! He is going to be so excited that I found out how to start it again!

GloriaC said...

Thank you for the recipe. I have used this and instead of adding cinnamon I have added 1T coconut and 1 T butter flavoring and 1 c flaked coconut. Delish.........

Lexilooo said...

I'm so glad to find this post! My mother used to often get a bag of the goop when I was younger, but I haven't had Amish Friendship Bread in years and have been craving it! I think I need to make a starter!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe!!

and BTW .... if you don't have anyone to share with you can keep them all - it freezes well.

susy wire said...

I tried it last year in Florida.Is delicious! Thanks dear fried.

Amy Metzler said...

Does anyone know if it has to be a specific kind of yeast? I have the dry active yeast. Will that work?

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

I use active dry yeast. I want to try it with catching wild yeast though. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Raisins work really well and taste fantastic. A cup to cup and a half + - to your own taste..

Unknown said...

Raisins work really well and taste fantastic. A cup to cup and a half + - to your own taste..

Anonymous said...

Anybody ever made the version with lots of canned fruit added in? That's the one I'm looking for. But thanks for showing how to actually START it rather than having to wait for someone to give me a bag of goo. :O)

Anonymous said...

It's great that you are getting thoughts from this paragraph as well as from our discussion made at this place.
Here is my web blog What is an EMT?

Anonymous said...

I've seen other recipes for the Starter and they included 1 Cup Sugar and 1 Cup Milk. I've never made it before, so I was wondering how this works.

Anonymous said...

What size jar do you use? I started mine in a gallon jar and it looks to be way more than yours

Kim said...

We love using chocolate pudding. Its so yummy!

Unknown said...

Can you please tell me what kind of yeast to use? That is our biggest problem. Please help......we love making this bread but lost our last starter. Thanks a million

Anonymous said...

This is completely new to me - one good reason to try it, thanks. Flavia

Dudie said...

On Day 10 do you have to take out the 4 cups of starter or can you just say take out only one and just bake the bread with the rest?

Rebecca said...

So... I accidental just mixed mine with a metal spoon! Is it ruined???

Patsy Graham said...

I love this bread. But i don't have anyone to give the starter to. I would also love to have the recipe for the starter with fruit. I have also heard this is friendship bread.

Anonymous said...

Do you use all purpose flour or bread flour

Shannon Lewisville TX said...

I was wondering if I keep it the first 10 says and then that's when I sare it with friends? I remember doing this when I was going that is why I search for the recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.

Barbara said...

I am wondering........one day #1 mine looked like your picture, it rose almost all the way up the jar. I left it out on the counter like you said to with cheese cloth over the jar. The next day it had dropped and two days after, it has not risen up as high again, it remains filling up about 1/3 of a quart jar. Is this normal or should it be rising up each day after stirring?

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...